Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: 604 HPLN's in Wall Unit (yes wall unit)

  1. #1
    Inactive Member IanMcD's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 14th, 2003
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am trying to solve the WAF problem while still being able to listen to the stereo in the living room.

    I have a pair of 604's that I intend to put in a "faux" wall unit that I will build. My intention is to stack the speaker cabinet on top of a sub and dress them up like either end of a wall unit. The fronts (speakers) would be concealed behind doors that would fold away to the sides.
    The intention is (was) to build the speakers in boxes 28"W x 24"D x 60"H this gives me about 23 cubic ft. These will sit on 28"x24"x24" subs. Each side would be approx 7'6" tall.
    The cubic feet is way too much for a 604 so I had considered partitioning them off at the top for a storage cabinet for my albums. Making them a respectable 12 or 14 cubic feet.

    My question is am I creating myself a problem with resonance by putting the storage area on top?

    Sorry for the preamble but I can't convince my wife to allow two stove sized speakers in the living room.

    Another thought was to forget the storage unit and extend the sub up the back of the reduced size speaker cabinet and use the top as a further extension to the sub. Just a thought. No calcs completed on this idea.

    Your (serious) comments would be appreciated.

    Thanks, Ian McD

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Roland N R's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24th, 2003
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ian:

    What are your room's measurements including height? If using a sub, which is a good idea, you may wish to use a smaller cab for the 604. Generally this gives a flatter freq response but higher LF cutoff which the sub will make up for. Some guys use 2.5-4 cubic feet cab for the 604. The woof will need 8-16 cubic feet if want deep bass to 20s Hz. May consider attic infinite baffle sub placement to avoid low WAF large cabs. Obviously will need active XO and biamping.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member zelgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 25th, 2002
    Posts
    302
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ian, that sounds like an enclosure idea that many people could adapt and for the same reason. Those huge boxes are hard to sneak into the living room, but a new wall unit would not only be welcome but you could ask for advise on wood and finish. I wonder if anyone here has any experience with the dead cabinet space above the main box. Best of luck. Kyle.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Fitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sounds like a great idea. I can't imagine that a load of albums on a storage shelf is going to cause resonance problems. I would be concerned if the space was empty but you can make sure there are always a bunch of albums or your library of "how to build speaker enclosure" texts stacked in there.

    I say go for it,

  5. #5
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    This is something I SERIOUSLY thought about myself. The wife factor was the major driving force in my thinking that way. She would love to NOT able to see my speakers (even though my model-15's are MUCH SMALLER then most people here).

    One of the reasons I thought against it is because my wife likes to change the room around every few years. If I went with the wall unit it would be in a fixed location (sometimes wife's have conflicting requirements) forums BUT Don't EVER point them out to them.

    forums

  6. #6
    Inactive Member IanMcD's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 14th, 2003
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thank you all for your support though I really expected someone, especially the purists to object to the furniture idea.

    It is certainly going to take me a while to get this all together after calculations for a rather unusual arrangement. To further complicate matters I am thinking of using the additional space for a transmission line sub.

    Thanks again, Ian McD

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.